Sunday, April 30, 2006

Student Rant: Google Da Vinci Code quest # 14: Restoration Challenge

Hello everyone... welcome back to Day # 14 of the Da Vinci Code webquests on Google

Today's challenge is being called " The Restoration Challenge"

Alfred Molina is Manuel Aringarosa, a Bishop dedicated to preserving, if not restoring, conservative values.

A question is hidden in plain sight on this classic work of art - parts of the question are unclear, obscured by debris. Clear the particles of debris by selecting pairs that are seperated by one space - they will merge into one particle. When there is only one particle left, the question will be revealed. Ignore any text obscured by the last particle and solve the mystery.

NOTE: Remember the objective is break this whole debris down into one single block.

Step # 1: Start from down or the place where there is text first. Try to clear them out and bring them to the place where there is more debris to match and select.

Step # 2: When you select a piece of debris, it is matched up with another piece. If there is text in between, click on the text to merge them or else click on one of the ends for them to merge.

Step #3: Keep clicking until all of them are cleared and we are just left with one piece.

Once we are done clearing the debris, we are asked our daily trivia question.

"Translate fogizerlovg from Atbash."

Atbash is a form of cryptology. In the Bible, a Hebrew ciphering method is used at times. In this method, the last letter of the alphabet is replaced by the first, and vice versa. This is called 'atbash'. For example, the following table gives a translation of this sort for English. The word "HELLO" becomes "SVOOL"

If you asked a similar question of conversion from Atbash, use the following ATBASH cipher.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
ZYXWVUTSRQPONMLKJIHGFEDCBA
Good luck solving !!

Update: An easier way for translating from ATBASH is use the following link -- Thanks anonymous

Digg Student Rant »

21 Comments:

Student said...

Student Rant on firefox is back up. Had some issues with my Javascript.

Anonymous said...

I had a question on Atbash too. I guess this is the common theme for the last question today

Anonymous said...

Translate klkozi from Atbash...


poplar.

Anonymous said...

translate kbiznrw .... (pyramid)

Anonymous said...

If you copy the question, then clock on the Google SMS link on the bottom, it takes you to their SMS system, where you can past the question in the box and the answer should pop up on their virtual cell phone.

Genti said...

i tried 3 different puzzels. 1 and 3 were very easy and were done in 30-40 seconds. the socond however i had to try about 20 times before i got frustrated and let it go. I guess some are easier then others..

Anonymous said...

I agree with genti, the first one I had was really difficult, so after about 15 tries I got a new puzzle and solved it within 3 or 4 times. I hate these debris ones. I wish they'd lay a little grid out on the picture to define what they call "one space" because quite often it looks like there's the same amount of space between two sets of debris that aren't combinable as there is two debris that you can combine.

Keep up the good work student. I've been doing these problems on my own, but I always like to check back here and see what others had for problems and how difficult they thought the problem of the day was.

Anonymous said...

You're correct. It is very frustrating to try these again and again and not get anywhere. There is a grid in the background that truely doestn't correspond to anything. I did the same, try one, two and three I played with for about 15 tries each. Try four, took once and I was through. The other puzzles at least have some sense to them or something to think about. These "resotration" puzzles it seems to me to be pure guesswork and no logic. Not in the "SPIRIT" of the Da Vinci code. Must have been an outgoing code monkey that made up these puzzles.

Anonymous said...

I just wrote a atbash translator.... I'm a geek, what can I say.

Anonymous said...

I've been frustrated by them too, until I read the directions again today. The honeycomb grid in the back is a lot like a chinese checkers board. You have to merge two pieces of debris that are separated by one space on the gridm until they're all in one piece. It doesn't matter what the pieces look like, which was what always threw me off about them. It's more of a spatial puzzle than a logic puzzle, really.

Anonymous said...

BTW, the first one I got was really giving me grief, so I got a new puzzle and solved it on the first try. Go figure. :P

Anonymous said...

I think the restoration challenge has to be the worst challenge of all.. in the sense that it depends more on blind luck than anything else. It is very hard to give out directions for such a wierd puzzle

Anonymous said...

I agree.

I got an Atbash conversion question too btw

Anonymous said...

geeeez... the last 2 are easiest one..

Anonymous said...

i think of the whole series, the chess and the sudoko puzzles are the hardest.

Anonymous said...

Ok - the restoration challenge just blows. Easily the most wasted time of the week. Worst challenge ever...

Anonymous said...

How can you say this is not a respectable challenge? Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses, so the fact that this challenge doesn't require you to spend 5 minutes pouring over Google or methodically doing Sudoku, should not detract from its validity. For the record this one's just as easy as sudoku. I've never spent more than a few minutes on "restorations"...

Erin said...

I find the first three challenges to be the easiest. I have a difficult time with the geography and the chess. I guess there are just more questions and a lot less logical puzzles.

Anonymous said...

Its the exact opposite for me. I find the sudoku puzzles more engrossing than the rest. I guess its different for diff people. I guess google got a good mix of questions, levels etc here

Anonymous said...

The definition of "one space" between the particles seems to be, if you can fit another particule/debris in that space, then it is "one space" and clickable to make 2 pieces come together. If they are closer than that then it won't be "clickable".

Anonymous said...

Hi Shobaday,
thanx for your explanation.
The game makes more sense to me now.